A Forbidden Room

Spirit – Artistry – Community

Spare Change

The first time we spoke was on a tram to St Kilda. For the first two months of our relationship, a lot of our deeper conversations were on the number 16. Perhaps it is the melting pot of public transport that really excites Him – or renders me restless enough to ask questions and peer into strangers’ faces. Our first conversation was about need. It wasn’t a conversation like something I might have had with my mother, or myself – that was the chill of it – He wasn’t me, and yet he existed, as a voice within me. I was […]

The Tongue of Us (Art and Peace)

The first sermon I ever heard was about my tongue. If I was a ship, my tongue was the rudder, steering me. Wherever I was at, I could probably thank or blame my tongue. If my life was burning down around me, my tongue was the spark. It was weird, but it resonated. As I listened, I physically felt the truth to it. My words mattered. Not in a self-help –  ‘speak it out and the universe will manifest it’ – way, but in the nature of integrity. The consequences of choosing a complaint over gratitude, criticism before encouragement, slander instead […]